Wednesday 21 March 2012

DIY Chalkboard Paint Matryoshka


Eric and I were on creative overboard last weekend. You saw my shoe clips and my leather clutch, but these Russian dolls were so much fun! They look so sleek unpainted and so goofy and homey all chalked up (mainly because I can only draw goofy). Here’s how we did it!


1) Find yourself some unpainted Matryoshka’s. Ours are from a local gift shop, but there are some really inexpensive ones on etsy like the ones here
2) Start painting! We used Hudson Chalkboard Paint, but there’s a great tutorial here that tells you how to turn any paint into chalkboard paint!
3) Admire your freshly coated Dolls!
4) Wait...wait...and wait some more while your dolls dry. Insert your own funtivity here, I chose to serenade Eric with my mad clarinet skills.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 until desired. We did 2 coats and the dolls seemed perfect to us.
6) Now that your dolls are nice and dry it’s time to season them! Take a piece of chalk, turn it on its side and try to cover as much of the doll as possible, then erase the chalk. This will prevent writing being burned onto the doll. Now draw your funny designs over and over again.

I think this would be the perfect gift! It would be so much fun as a child to be able to create your own dolls over and over again. I already bought another blank doll to paint for my nephew! 


No comments:

Post a Comment